Patricia A. Hurford, M.D., M.S.
|Patricia A. Hurford, M.D., M.S.|
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist
My ideal patient is someone who wants to feel better and is willing to explore non-surgical options that can measurably reduce (if not eliminate) pain to significantly improve their quality of life. Improvement is nearly always possible; feeling like you did before an accident or injury may or may not be. Taking the time to listen and thoroughly explain what viable treatment options exist, helps my patients to feel validated, understood and know that I can take care of them.
Because fear can exacerbate pain, education becomes an important part of the healing process. Once patients understand what is happening in their bodies, they become less fearful and are more apt to follow their recommended course of treatment. They are empowered to make changes that will improve them both in the short term and long term.
As a lifelong sports enthusiast who has suffered many of the aches and sprains that accompany competitive sports, I know that stubborn pain impacts functionality, mobility and emotional outlook as well as the ability to deal with everyday environmental stress. Powerful opioid pain medications promise quick relief but often lead to abuse and serious life consequences. For that reason, I’ve devoted personal time in researching the subject and have collaborated with local medical affiliates to educate St. Louis physicians on opioid prescription abuse and the extreme dangers associated with that practice..
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Subspecialties certification in Pain Management and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Emory University and Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, GA
- Emory University and Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, GA
- Sports Medicine, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- University of Missouri School of Medicine–Kansas City
- University of Missouri–Kansas City; B.S. degrees in Chemistry, Biology and Political Science
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Physiatric Association of Spine, Sports and Occupational Rehabilitation
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- International Spine Intervention Society
- North American Spine Society
- American Academy of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Board of Independent Medical Examiners
- Phi Kappa Alpha
Dr. Hurford devotes considerable personal time and resources to mission trips where she provides free health clinics, medical supplies and medical services to residents of an underserved area of Haiti. She volunteers her time in many areas emphasizing health, wellness and sports.
Sailing, a recently discovered passion, has enriched her life immensely and promises to make her dream of delivering needed supplies for future medical missions to distant shores a reality.