Manage Your Back Pain Without Surgery
There’s no question that pain is uncomfortable and may make everyday activities more difficult, but when the pain is in your back, it may also limit your mobility and can become debilitating. Up to 25% of Americans are affected by back pain every year. Lower back pain, sciatica, osteoarthritis, muscle or ligament injuries, fibromyalgia, and spinal cord injuries are common causes of back pain sending patients to their doctors every day.
There are many non-surgical solutions to alleviate your back pain. Medication and physical therapy are non-surgical treatment options for managing your pain without surgery.
Strengthening your core is about more than having six-pack abs. Having a strong core helps your overall body strength, balance and your posture. Core strengthening also helps with back pain. There are many different exercises for your core. Core exercises should involve the major muscles in your abdomen, including your internal and external obliques and the transverse abdominals. Exercises that strengthen your core such as planks, crunches, oblique twists and yoga can help protect your back and neck from injury.
Stop the Pain Before it Starts
Better than treating pain is preventing it altogether. Here are some things you can do to prevent back pain.
- Maintain a healthy weight -Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
- Get the right mattress – A firmer mattress will better support your back.
- Maintain good posture – Set up your office your work station to reduce strain on your back and take breaks often.
- Lift heavy objects correctly – Squat down to use your leg muscles or ask for help.
- Workout regularly – Use proper techniques for exercising and make sure your workouts include exercises that strengthening your back and core.
Dr. Patricia Hurford has extensive experience in pain management, “By setting expectations with my patients, I can ease their fears, ensure compliance with their rehabilitation program and help them live without back pain.”
Sources: spinehealth.com and webmd.com
Orthopedic Sports Medicine & Spine Care Institute is a comprehensive, premier team of specialists dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, habilitation and prevention of sports and orthopedic injuries and conditions. Our team is dedicated to improving the quality of life for our patients and their families.